Monday, October 7, 2013

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

I first read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou during my junior year of high school for a contemporary literature course in 1987.

I remember that I enjoyed reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou at the time, but had forgotten many of the details of this memoir over the course of time. Only a few of the major scenes/events stuck with me from 26 years ago.

I've since read many of Maya Angelou's other memoirs and her poetry, which I find phenomenal. I've become a huge fan of Dr. Angelou's writing and have seen her speak live twice during my lifetime. Dr. Angelou is an amazing speaker and I admire her greatly.

I chose to reread Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings for Banned Books Week as it has been a challenged/banned book. Plus, I wanted to reread Dr. Angelou's memoir once again to discover its contents.

I'm glad that I chose to reread I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings for Banned Books Week. Rediscovering a book, is like becoming acquainted with an old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment