Thursday, January 23, 2014

Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti

Yes, I'm a feminist and proud of it! The word feminist usually evokes various kinds of connotations or images with people... And sometimes 'feminist' is not always a positive word with some folks. 

I recently read Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti. I'm not sure how to best write my thoughts regarding what I thought about this book. I think Full Frontal Feminism makes a decent primer for the beginner wanting to learn the basics about feminism and women's issues. Additionally, Full Frontal Feminism also provides some nice resources for readers as well.

I have no doubt, whatsoever, after reading Full Frontal Feminism, that Ms. Valenti is passionate about the topic of feminism. She enlightens readers about the various issues/topics of feminism in an easy to understand manner.

As a woman myself, I find it difficult to read about the inequalities/double standards women endure as discussed in Full Frontal Feminism. I also feel that taking action to correct the inequalities in some form or another is a must.

I felt that Ms. Valenti inspires women to take action against the inequalities and double standards towards women by persuading and encouraging women to think outside the box.

I could have done without reading the foul language throughout Full Frontal Feminism. Is it really necessary to use the "F" word repeatedly throughout Full Frontal Feminism to make your point? I don't think so. I'm not a prude or anything, but come on, if feminism and women's issues are a serious subject matter for the author, then use mature, adult language while writing about it.... Give the subject and ones readers the respect they deserve. Otherwise, I think readers may not take the book seriously, whether Ms. Valenti makes good points or not because of the foul language.

The Pros:

1. Great introduction to feminism for newbies.
2. Well organized chapters, focused on particular topics pertaining to feminism.
3. Bite sized sections within each chapter focusing on important topics pertaining to feminism.
4. Resource section at the end of the book
5. Author is enthusiastic/passionate about subject matter. 

The Cons:

1. Foul language.
2. Skip this book if you're already aware of the basics when it comes to women's issues/feminism. 
3. Ms. Valenti comes off a bit strong with the foul language, in your face, 'full frontal feminism' facts. Sometimes I felt like she was trying too hard to convince me that I'm a feminist. Yes, by all means, be a passionate and engaging writer about your subject matter and do it in a way that motivates women to take action to improve women's issues... But can you do it in a different way?
4. I didn't agree with everything written in the book, but then again that's to be expected. As a reader, you're not going to agree with everything the author writes in his or her book.

Full Frontal Feminism is my 6th read for 2014.  

Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment