Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

Unabridged Audio Version
Believe it or not, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is my first experience reading or listening to anything written by legendary author Stephen King.

Yesterday, I listened to the unabridged version of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon throughout the day. It's  approximately 6.5 hours in length and read by actress, Anne Heche.

I felt that Anne Heche did a terrific job of reading The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and the production of the reading of this novel is well done. I also enjoyed that this story was told through the eyes of a nine year old girl, Trisha McFarland, who becomes lost in the woods and how she deals with being lost the woods. Plus, the baseball elements found throughout the novel were kind of cool too.

There were some aspects of the story that didn't sit right with me, like Stephen King's portrayal of Trisha McFarland... This is a small issue for me, but if Trisha McFarland's age was never stated by the author in this novel, I would have guessed her age to be between 12-14 years old, not 9 years old. I felt that some of the things she thought or did were more inline with a slightly older person, but again this is a minor issue for me.

Overall, I enjoyed listening to The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, but wasn't completely bowled over by it. I'm giving The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon a rating of 7.0 stars out of 10 stars.  The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is the 3rd book I've read/listened to in 2014.

Until my next post, happy reading! If you're a Stephen King fan, please share with me your favorite Stephen King novel of all time.

2 comments:

  1. I remember when I read this book my mom totally spoiled it for me! I told her I was reading it and she said "did you get to the part with ______ in it?". I had no idea the part she was talking about was what was in the forest. So that was at the end of the book so of course I hadn't been to that part yet MOM! I don't know if you know this but I run the Stephen King Fan group on goodreads if you ever want to go over there and check it out: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/203-stephen-king-fans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like spoilers! Lol, I've had that happen once or twice to me before while reading other books.

      Thanks for sharing your Good Reads link. No, I didn't know that you run the Stephen King Fan group. I should probably join Good Reads and Library Thing as well as Pinterest... I'm so busy with Bookcrossing, Facebook, reading books and posting to my book blog that I haven't ventured off and joined other book related sites.

      Delete