Monday, June 9, 2014

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan

Unabridged Audiobook
Last night, I finished listening to the unabridged audio version of The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan and read by David Thorn.

I became interested in listening to The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan after seeing the dramatization of his play a few years ago at a local playhouse. I had thoroughly enjoyed the live theater production of The Thirty-Nine Steps immensely. However, when it came to the book itself, not so much.

The plots summary for The Thirty-Nine Steps is as follows from Audible:
Richard Hannay, Buchan's hero in this 1915 thriller, stumbles across a dark plot to attack England by the German Reich (of World War I vintage) but has to flee when his discovery becomes known. He then engages in several hot pursuits and narrow, if theatrical, escapes, but all's well that ends well.
David Thorn did a wonderful job of narrating The Thirty-Nine Steps, but the story and leading character just didn't quite captivate me. I found myself distracted and not paying attention to the story very much. I'd say the last two chapters of this book were the most interesting ones in the entire book. 

If you're looking for a spy thriller, then this one is one I'd pass on. I'm giving The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan a rating of 4 stars out of 10 stars. 

Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment