Thursday, October 9, 2014

2014 Nobel Prize for Literature Goes to French Writer Patrick Modiano!

Congratulations are in order for French writer Patrick Modiano! Frankly, I'd never heard of him before today. Have you? I'm now curious about his published works.

In an article I discovered on The Wall Street Journal's website titled, Patrick Modiano Wins Nobel Prize in Literature by Anna Russell and Anna Molin, I read the following:
STOCKHOLM—French author Patrick Modiano won the 2014 Nobel Prize for literature on Thursday, bringing international attention to an author known for his elegant and spare examination of memory, identity and loss. 
The 69-year-old Paris resident received the award from the Swedish Academy in Stockholm “for the art of memory with which he has evoked the most ungraspable human destinies and uncovered the life-world of the occupation.” 
Mr. Modiano said he was aware that his name featured among potential contenders but was bowled over by the announcement.
“It felt like looking at a double, as if we were celebrating somebody who had my name,” the author told a packed news conference at his publisher’s offices. “I didn’t expect it at all.”
Click on the above link to read the full story. Until my next post, happy reading!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment