Thursday, July 14, 2016

This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor by Susan Wicklund

Unabridged Audio Version
I listened the unabridged audio version of This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor by Susan Wicklund and narrated by Robin Miles. 

Listening time for This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor by Susan Wicklund is 7 hours, 47 minutes.

I thoroughly enjoyed the content of This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor by Susan Wicklund. Susan Wicklund's compassion, knowledge, and insight into the world of an abortion doctor is an eye opening one. Wicklund's personal story and journey are amazing, if not riveting from the start through the finish of her book. I enjoyed Wicklund's candor of the facts and the information she provided about her life and career as a medical doctor. 

The only downer for me with regards to this audiobook was narrator, Robin Miles. I felt like a different narrator would have been a great choice as I felt that Robin Miles narration was lackluster for the most part. I've heard worse narrators for books.

The following is a summary for This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor by Susan Wicklund from Audible:
In This Common Secret, Dr. Susan Wicklund chronicles her emotional and dramatic twenty-year career on the front lines of the abortion war. Growing up in working class, rural Wisconsin, Wicklund had her own painful abortion at a young age. It was not until she became a doctor that she realized how many women shared her ordeal of an unwanted pregnancy - and how hidden this common experience remains.
This is the story of Susan's love for a profession that means listening to women and helping them through one of the most pivotal and controversial events in their lives. Hers is also a calling that means sleeping on planes and commuting between clinics in different states - and that requires her to wear a bulletproof vest and to carry a .38 caliber revolver. This is also the story of the women whom Susan serves, women whose options are increasingly limited.
Through these intimate, complicated, and inspiring accounts, Wicklund reveals the truth about the women's clinics that anti-abortion activists portray as little more than slaughterhouses for the unborn. As we enter the most fevered political fight over abortion America has ever seen, this raw and powerful memoir shows us what is at stake.
I am giving This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor by Susan Wicklund a rating of 5 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fascinating read and I've added it to my TBR list! I'm always on the lookout for interesting non-fiction books, and I'd love an insider's perspective on this ever-timely and controversial topic. I've always been pro-choice (at least, to a point), but I have zero actual experience with the issue. I'm sure I'll learn something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always on the look out for great nonfiction books too and this one caught my interest right away. I'm glad I finally read it or rather listened to it as well. And yes, abortion is an ever timely and controversial topic for sure... I've always been pro-choice as well and this book only solidifies my decision about the topic.

      Delete