Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Happy 100th Birthday to Roald Dahl!!!

I've enjoyed reading novels by Roald Dahl over the years. As a child, I read Charlie & the Chocolate Factory more times than I can recall and this novel is probably my favorite Roald Dahl novel. Earlier this year, I read The Witches by Roald Dahl for the first time and really enjoyed reading it a lot.

To celebrate Roald Dahl's birthday, I thought I'd share an article I discovered through Bustle's website titled: 9 Facts About Roald Dahl That Will Change Your Perception Of The Children's Books Author by Charlotte Ahlin. In the article, Ms. Ahlin writes:
It's time to celebrate! Roald Dahl's 100th birthday is coming up, so it's time to break out the giant peaches and rivers of molten chocolate. Many of us loved Roald Dahl's stories as children. Whether we were looking up to telekinetic girl genius Matilda or cowering in fear from The Witches,those books had something strange and wonderful for every kid. But how much do we really know about the man behind the chocolate factory? Here are a few facts you probably never knew about Roald Dahl.
You won't be surprised to learn that Roald Dahl enjoyed chocolate, that he had children of his own, or that he invented 238 words in The BFG alone. Perhaps you won't even be surprised to learn that he always wrote on yellow paper, or that his parents were Norwegian. But did you know that he was friends with Ernest Hemingway? Or that he spoke Swahili? Or that he was a spy? Dahl had a wildly interesting life, even before he was writing about oompa loompas. 
So in honor of Roald Dahl's centennial, eat too much candy. Frighten a few children with bizarre, darkly humorous tales. And read up on Dahl's fascinating real life adventures.
So, which is your favorite Roald Dahl novel?

2 comments:

  1. This is so crazy that it's been 100 years already! I remember reading so many of Ronald Dahl's books when I was in elementary school. I especially loved James and the Giant Peach and The BFG (which I'm so excited to see as a movie!). I also just rewatched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night and I remembered how much I love that story and that movie.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also liked reading James and the Giant Peach and the BFG. It will be fun to see the movie version of the BFG.

      Delete