Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday --- Holiday Gift Guide Freebie ~ Nonfiction Books!


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


Below, in no order of importance, are ten of my favorite nonfiction picks that make for great reading for you or someone you know. The links below will take you to my reviews of each book I've listed in this post.

1. I'm not usually a huge lover of celebrity memoirs. However, I read Bryan Cranston's memoir, A Life In Parts, earlier this year and LOVED IT!! So, if you know someone who loves celebrity memoirs or is a Bryan Cranston fan, then I would recommend this book!

2. My Life On The Road by Gloria Steinem is also another wonderful book I really enjoyed earlier this year and is perfect for those who are interested in feminism/women's history.

3. Stoned: Jewelry, Obsession, and How Desire Shapes the World by Aja Raden is an excellent book that incorporates history with human desire and of course, jewelry! I love this book. 

4. The Assassination of the Archduke: Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance That Changed the World by Greg King and Sue Woolmans is highly recommended if you (or someone you know) loves European history and wants to know more about Archduke Franz Ferdinand, his marriage to his wife, Sophie, their lives together, their assassination and its aftermath in detail.

5. This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor by Susan Wicklund is another book I enjoyed earlier this year. Abortion is such a hot topic. It seems like people are either for it or against it. I thought it was interesting to read about this topic from the point of view of a doctor who performed abortions and what her take on the topic of abortion was.

6. I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai is an excellent book by the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. I enjoyed learning more about Malala's life.

7. The Story of Sushi: An Unlikely Saga of Raw Fish and Rice by Trevor Corson is a really well written book about the history of sushi, so if you are a foodie or sushi lover, then this book is a perfect book to read.

8. Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert was one of my favorite reads in 2015. I really liked this book and it makes a great gift!!

9. The Soloist: A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music by Steve Lopez is an excellent book and one of my favorite books that I read in 2014.

10. The Professor & the Madman by Simon Winchester is a book that's been out for quite a while, but it became one of my favorite reads in 2014. If you or someone you know loves history and words, then you'll love this nonfiction book about the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary.

Are you a nonfiction lover/reader? If so, please share with me some of your favorite nonfiction books.

6 comments:

  1. Totally all new to me ones! Nice picks!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad and brother both read a lot of non-fiction so I'll have to check some of these out!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just picked up I am Malala and I'm excited to read it! Great list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read a lot of non fiction anymore (occasionally histories) but I'm interested in both the abortion one (to understand the topic better) and the sushi one, which just sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a big non-fiction reader. But I Am Malala seems like a great gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't generally read much non-fiction, so I'm happy to expand my list and check these books out. Awesome list! ^_^

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete