Thursday, January 5, 2017

Bustle's American Woman Book Club!!

This morning, I visited Bustle's website where I read an article titled, Bustle's American Woman Book Club Is All About Reading Diversely In 2017 by Cristina Arreola. In the article, Cristina Arreola writes:
2017 is a year for action. It’s more important than ever that American women try to understand each other in the face of such partisan division, and that we come together in the quest for social justice and equality. That means making calls. That means protesting. That means making your voice heard and lifting each other up. That means educating yourself about experiences outside your own. 
And that's the purpose of Bustle's American Woman Book Club.
Reading has been proven to promote empathy, and Bustle believes that reading broadly is one small step in mending the divides of our nation. The books Bustle's American Woman Book Club will read will encompass a broad range of American experiences. We’ll read about Muslim-Americans, Latinos, African-Americans, LGBTQ+ individuals, undocumented immigrants, white working class women, and more. Because all of these people are American, and all of their stories are American stories.
I'm totally EXCITED about Bustle's American Woman Book Club!! I joined Bustle's American Woman Book Club group on Goodreads and have downloaded the Audible version of their book for January 2017!! The very first book Bustle selected  for their American Woman Book Club is Juliet Takes A Breath by Gabby Rivera. I've never heard of this book or the author until now! Juliet Takes A Breath by Gabby Rivera sounds like a really good read. I'll most likely begin reading Juliet Takes A Breath after I finish reading my two most current reads. 

Online virtual meetings will happen monthly to discuss each book selected by Bustle... I learned from Cristina Arreola's that the first virtual will take place "on January 27th at 6:30pm, author Gabby Rivera will join the book club for our inaugural meeting to discuss her book, our January selection, Juliet Takes A Breath."

To learn more, please feel free to visit the following link/article Bustle's American Woman Book Club Is All About Reading Diversely In 2017 by Cristina Arreola.  

I hope you're inspired to join me in participating in Bustle's American Woman Book Club!! Leave me a comment below if you decide to join Bustle's American Woman Book Club and read Juliet Takes A Breath by Gabby Rivera.

Until my next post, happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. It's good that things like this are available for those who want to read diversity. I hope you enjoy discovering new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I look forward to discussing new books. Happy reading to you!

      Delete