Thursday, May 25, 2017

Speed Reading Tips

Ever wanted to learn how to speed read?? The check out the following article from Bustle's website titled, 9 Speed Reading Tips To From A Professional Book Reviewer by Sadie L. Trombetta. In the article, Sadie L. Trombetta wrote the following:
On average, the reading speed in the U.S. is 200-300 words per minute, or approximately one-half to one page per minute. Those considered to be fast readers can increase that speed to 400 words per minute, but that still means it would take over two and a half hours to read an average length book, about 64,000 words. (Given the amount of time we spend sitting in front of Netflix and binge-watching shows, 160 minutes may not seem like a long time, but for most people, sitting still for that long when it isn't for the Gilmore Girls revival can feel like an impossible eternity.)
Speed readers, however, can cut that time down by more than half, and with can reach speeds of up to 1,000 words per minute. While it's true that reading faster can result in lower levels of comprehensions, with practice, speed reading can be an effective tool for getting through more text in less time.
I do not know how to speed read and am not sure I want to learn how to speed read. I've heard of a few of the speed reading tips suggested in Sadie L. Trombett'a article though.

Do you know how to speed read? If so, what are the benefits you've gained from reading books? If you don't know how to speed read, do you want to learn how to speed read and why do you want to do so?

4 comments:

  1. I thought about learning how to speed read for a while because what's better than being able to read faster and get more books off of my TBR? But because I review a lot of books for authors and I enjoy the journey books provide, I feel it's a disservice to speed read and not necessarily understand everything. An author has spent so much time writing this book and the least I can do is give them my opinion based on a full reading and complete comprehension, especially if I spot problems in plot, character, or setting development.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make excellent points in your comment to this post... Very well said!! I agree with what you've said.

      Delete
  2. I tried to speed read so I could knock off many books in my TBR pile but it simply did not work for me. I felt like I was not fully divested in each book because I was too busy trying to read fast. In fact, it created a sense of anxiety every time I tried it. Eventually, like Laura said, it felt like a disservice to speed read plus I found myself not enjoying reading anymore. It simply was not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd be filled with anxiety too while trying to solely focus on speed reading.... My reading comprehension would most likely suffer for sure.

      Delete